Thanks for dropping by! I hope you enjoy exploring my website. You can learn more about me, my books, and my editing and manuscript critiquing services by clicking on the various tabs.
Here's my most recent news!
- My book Making Canada Home: How Immigrants Shaped this Country will be published by Owl Kids in November 2016
-- in time to be added to the growing list of books that will celebrate Canada's 150th anniversary of Confederation.
Here's some of the cover copy to whet your interest:
"Making Canada Home chronicles the country's major waves of immigration, from welcoming early European arrivals to becoming a modern-day safe haven for refugees. The book also acknowledges times when Canada has not been especially welcoming. It explores how each period of immigration has shaped the laws, values, and face of Canada on the way to today's multicultural society."
- My new picture book Maggie McGillicuddy's Eye for Trouble will be published by Kids Can Press in autumn of 2016. I'll be reading from it at Word on the Street in Toronto on Sunday September 25. Please join me at 11.30 in the TD Children's Literature Tent for some fun!
- I now offer book talks with teachers and students via Skype, and I will Skype with interested writer-clients during critique and coaching sessions. Please get in touch if you'd like to find out more about arranging a Skype session with me.
- I am pleased that so many writers are contacting me for manuscript critiques and mentoring. It is very exciting to be part of their creative process and to be able to help them achieve their writing goals. In particular, I'd like to congratulate Gary Schwartz, my writing mentee, whose middle grade novel The King of Average is being published by Booktrope this fall.
- Watch for the next two books in the Puppy Collection, #7 Houdini's Escape (winter 2016) and #8 Nutmeg All Alone (spring 2016). Both are being published by Scholastic Canada.
- I'm continuing to write a monthly blog about children's literature called Kid Lit Can for Open Book Toronto on its website.
Check out my April 2016 column on tips for writing fantasy YA:
and the February 2016 column about writing edgy young adult fiction:
Check out the Open Book Toronto website each month to catch my latest news, tips, and interviews with children's book creators.
- I am very pleased to have a new picture book coming out in 2017 with Owl Kids. It is titled Up: How Families around the World Carry Their Little Ones
- I have a biographical picture book about the amazing urban planner Jane Jacobs coming out with Kids Can Press in 2018. So thrilling!
Joshua Schramm; Marie-Eve Letourneau; Margaret Ingleson; Me
Please enjoy exploring my website and finding out about all the books I've written.
If you're a teacher and you're looking for some of the books I've written for Scholastic Education's Literacy Place for the Early Years (K-3) and Moving Up with Literacy Place (4-6) programs, please go to their website here.
If you want to get in touch, you can find out how at Contact Me.